Trinity Episcopal Church was founded in 1834 and is the third oldest church in the Diocese of Alabama. The congregation met in homes and a small log building until 1850 when a frame building was constructed on this lot given by the Lyon family.
Federal Troops burned the framed building during the occupation of Demopolis after the Civil War. The Nave of the present was completed in 1870 from plans drawn up by Edward S. Potter, a New York architect who also designed the chapel at West Point and other famous 19th century church buildings. The transepts were added in the 1890’s and the bell tower in 1910. Trinity is one of the finest examples of Victorian Gothic Church architecture in the United States.
This church is located at 401 North Main Avenue, Demopolis, AL (GPS coordinates N32.519694,W87.839000).
Photos courtesy of Rural Southwest Alabama