This hotel was constructed between 1903 & 1910. It marked the era of the beginning of automobile travel in Conecuh County and the period when tourism was significant in Evergreen. This is the only original hotel building that remains in the downtown district. It has served as a hotel, a boarding house and private residence. Based on a 1909 advertisement, it was comprised of 12 rooms beside kitchen/dining facilities, screened, and within 100 yards of the central depot, reasonable terms. Today, it is privately owned and used as a boarding house.
This old motel is located near downtown on Desplouse Street (GPS coordinates N31.432417,W86.954333).
Source: Sherry Johnston (Genealogist/Historian Evergreen-Conecuh Co. Public Library)
Photo courtesy of Rural Southwest Alabama