An old home that has been donated to the Monroe Heritage Museum by the Hybart Family.
Charlie Hybart, born in Monroeville, grew up in north Monroe County, attended Marion Institute and the University of Alabama. He graduated from Alabama Law School in 1897. He practiced law throughout south Alabama, with offices in Monroeville and Bay Minette. In 1924, he bought this property for his finance, Marion McDuffie, 20 years his junior, who was the first president of the Women’s Student Government Association.
In her 60s, she attended Columbia University’s Graduate School in New York City. During their engagement, they hired George Willis, a renowned Pensacola, Florida architect, to draw their house plans. The house, known for its Mediterranean Spanish architecture with red tile roof, plaster walls and many porches, was under way when they were married in 1925.
The rocks for the foundation and columns have been hauled by wagon from Limestone Creek. The living room, with hand-hewn beams from Monroe County walnuts, and the dining room were always in the center with the kitchen and guest quarters at the north end and the family living area at the south end.
Contact the Monroe Heritage Museum (251) 575-7433, for information.