The first Episcopalian minister came to Evergreen in December 1870. This Episcopalian church was built circa 1880. Prior to this, the Episcopalian congregation held their services at the Union Church which was a community church that all denominations shared. St. Mary’s is Evergreen’s oldest church. It is one of only a few buildings that survived the 1881 cyclone that struck downtown Evergreen, AL. The style of this church is Gothic Revival. It originally had two towers. By 1897, one tower had been removed. St. Mary’s Episcopal Church is included on the New Evergreen Commercial Historic District that is listed on the National Register of Historic Places.
St. Mary’s is located on Front Street just northeast of downtown Evergreen, AL (GPS coordinates N31.436611,W86.951250).
Sources: 1) The Heritage of Conecuh County Alabama published by Heritage Publishing Consultants, Inc.; 2) National Register of Historic Places Document, New Evergreen Commercial Historic District.
photo courtesy Rural Southwest Alabama.