Booker’s Mill is known for both its historical value and scenic beauty. The mill, built in the 1800s by prison workers, provided electricity to the neighborhood. It has long been closed as an electricity generating plant. The land and the building now give the Conecuh County residents function. It offers the residents and may visitors a taste of the past in an award winning setting. The property is now owned by Don and Grace Stinson.
On the property was once located a water wheel, stone gristmill, and one of the first cotton gins in Conecuh County. The gristmill and cotton gin was destroyed by fire and are no longer seen on the 250 acre property. There are many other attractions both old and new to enjoy. The Stinson’s have there family reunion every year on the property and many other events such as weddings are held on the property because of the “floral beauty.”
The old store that once was the hub of the community has now been converted into a meeting hall and partial museum that houses artifacts, Indian relics, and primitive tools. There are many buildings and cabins to visit. One of the cabins has been the Stinson family since 1887, and was built from trees on the property.
The restoration has earned the Stinson’s awards from the Alabama Forestry Commission, including the Helen Mosley Memorial Award given by the state for aesthetic beauty.
Booker’s Mill is located on CR 22 approximately 7 miles northwest of Evergreen, AL (Site GPS Coordinates N31.527028,W87.032306).
Source: Evergreen Chamber of Commerce
Hours of Operation: 8-5/ M-F
Photos courtesy of Rural Southwest AlabamaCounty Road 21, Evergreen, AL 36401