Bobby’s Fish Camp is located at the old Bladon Springs landing on the Tombigbee River in the southeastern part of Choctaw County. Bobby’s Fish Camp has been in operation for over half a century and is one of the oldest restaurants in southwest Alabama. Bobby E. Dahlberg built and opened the restaurant in 1956 to serve river traffic. He also built rental cabins on the river in the early 1960’s. The customers of Bobby’s Fish Camp were primarily local folks. In 1985, the Tenn-Tom Waterway opened which resulted in a significant increase with yacht traffic on the Tombigbee River. The yacht marinas at Demopolis, AL and Mobile, AL were nearly 240 miles apart and many yachts could not travel this far without refueling. At the request of the Demopolis Yacht Basin, Bobby Dahlberg installed a fueling station on the river at his Fish Camp which was about midway between the Demopolis and Mobile marinas. Bobby’s Fish Camp became the smallest marina of the Tenn-Tom Marina Association. In the years since the opening of the Tenn-Tom, yachts from all over the world have visited Bobby’s with some making it a routine stop. Bobby’s Fish Camp is listed as one of the stops on the Great Loop cruising route.
Bobby’s Fish Camp has the reputation for serving some of the best fried catfish in southwest Alabama. Additionally, visiting Bobby’s is like traveling back in time. The inside of the restaurant is like a museum. It contains all types of collectables and artifacts. On the walls are pictures of old steamboats and places that no longer exist. There is a counter that has dozens of three-ring binders, each one stuffed with all types of pictures and old newspaper clippings. (from Rural Southwest Alabama; photos courtesy Rural Southwest Alabama) Learn more about Bobby’s Fish Camp here.