Centering around four mineral springs, this 357-acre park in Choctaw County in southwest Alabama provides modern campsites, shelters, tables and grills for daytime and nighttime family outings. The Park is located one mile north of Bladon Springs in southwest Alabama.
Opened as a spa in 1838, guests traveled from all over the country to benefit from the “curing” properties of the mineral springs containing sulfur, iron, magnesium, and calcium. A grand Greek Revival style mansion large enough to accommodate 200 people was built in 1846, making it one of the largest wooden hotels built in Alabama.
The “health” resort which gained the nickname “Saratoga of the South,” stayed open through the Civil War until it closed after the turn of the century when the novelty of mineral springs wore off. The state purchased the property in 1934. In addition to camping and other activities, Bladon Springs State Park is part of the Black Belt Birding Trail and is an outstanding location for wildlife viewing.
GPS N 31.75408 W -88.205209
Bladon Springs State Park
3921 Bladon Rd.
Bladon Springs, AL 36919
Admission: 50 Cents for Adults and 25 Cents for Children under 13.