Bethany Baptist Church
The Bethany Baptist Church was established in 1821 in nearby Conecuh County. The church moved to Puryearville (Monroe County) on Camp Ground Creek near Burnt Corn in 1846. During this era, both Blacks and Whites worshiped at the same church. After the Civil War, the Bethany congregation divided. The Black congregation purchased the church building and retained the name Bethany for their church. (This building was later replaced with a modern brick facility.)
The White congregation moved up the road and built the present Bethany Baptist Church at Burnt Corn in 1874. Today, this church is owned and maintained by the Monroe County Historical Museum and is available for special events. It was added to the Alabama Register of Heritage and Landmarks on May 3, 2001.
This church is located near the intersection of Conecuh County Highway 5 and Conecuh County Highway 15 in Burnt Corn (GPS coordinates 31.549671,-87.159794).
Burnt Corn, AL (built c. 1874, listed on the Alabama Register) (photo and information provided by Rural Southwest Alabama)