Archive | Dallas County RSS feed for this section

Birding Old Cahawba Archaeological Park, Dallas County, Alabama

Old Cahawba Archaeological Park near Orville was chosen as the site for the Black Belt Birding Trail Advisory Group’s May meeting and, as a bonus, we conducted a 2-hour bird walk prior to the meeting. Although the Clear Creek Nature Trail is located just west of the Visitor’s Center, we chose to bird the Capitol Reserve. This section of the park is located immediately around the site of the capitol on the southeast side of the park adjacent to the Alabama River. It is level and provides easy access to a nice variety of habitats including mixed bottomland forest with a dense understory, cypress slough, and lawn dotted with mature hardwoods, many festooned with Spanish moss. And it is an area that accommodates a large group.

Read more

Ghost Trail

The Ghosts of the Black Belt: visit any town in Alabama and you will most likely hear a local ghost story. You will hear stories of civil war soldiers, haunted riverboats, spectral visitors at university campuses and many tales of apparitions that either met an early or unwarranted death. Learn more about our ghost stories and watch video interviews and tales.

Read more

A Visit to the National Voting Rights Museum

Selma is famous for its Selma March, commemorated every spring with a Jubilee Bridge Crossing. It also has the National Voting Rights Museum open all year around. The museum has recently moved to new headquarters from a historic building on Water Street.

Read more

Paul M. Grist State Park

This Alabama State Park is located in Dallas County, approximately 15 miles north of Selma, AL. It is a tranquil 1,080-acre park that includes a beautiful 100-acre lake that is surrounded by hardwood and southern pine woodlands. The park has modern campsites located on the edge of the lake. There are also primitive campsites for […]

Read more

Sturdivant Hall

This magnificent structure is listed on the National Register of Historic Places and in the 1934 American Building Survey. Its construction was begun in 1852 by Colonel Edward T. Watts, a local resident. Sturdivant Hall stands upon a spacious lot (292 feet 6 inches on Mabry and Union Streets and 408 feet 9 inches on […]

Read more